Friday, July 16, 2010

yep

Being an adult is tough.  I hadn't felt like one until a couple weeks ago, when I decided that Austin (despite all its wonderful qualities) actually wasn't right for me, packed up my little Mazda, and drove about 1500 miles across the country by myself, back to Richmond.  Life is weird.  I've found that I have to physically be in situations before I know what's right for me, and that I'm still growing and learning things about myself.  It takes time.  And that's ok.  It's how we grow up, we have to experience pain, heartache, tough stuff.  

So anyway, here I am.  Working two jobs, trying to get caught up with all my over due bills, living at home with my family, but quite comfortable.  I'm trying to find something full time, that pays really well, I don't care if I end up in an office, honestly I'd love it.  Working, making theatre, and doing research on starting my own vintage boutique are what's going on presently...I was really inspired while in Austin.  I'm realizing what will make me happy, and that is making things happen for me, being productive, and being creative in some way.  That is what I find fulfilling, and I haven't really been able to do it in a long time.  

On another note, let's get onto sharing some stuffff...

Mother's Daughter.  It's a San Francisco-based online vintage clothing shop...I discovered them on facebook, and they also have a website, www.mothersdaughter.com (the computer I'm on will not let me hyperlink for some odd reason).  They have some AWESOME, one of a kind pieces, along with very interesting photography, be sure to take a peek at their site. Here are some top picks:






Feathers Boutique in Austin has several new pieces in, find them all on their blog, http://feathersboutiquevintage.blogspot.com/.  Don't forget, if you see something on the blog you want, you can purchase it and they will ship it to you!  Here are some of my favorites:







I've had a ton of time on my hands lately, between waiting for the store to put me on the schedule, and the start of training at the restaurant, so I've been able to watch a few films in my spare time:


This movie was long, like 3 hours, but totally worth it.  The costumes are great, and goodness, Cate Blanchett's impersonation of Katherine Hepburn is spot-on, and so charming.  Did Leo win an oscar for this? If he didn't, I don't know why.
   
Paul Newman, and Julie Andrews. Too cute! I hadn't ever seen this one, and I loved it.  Basically they're engaged and Paul Newman is keeping huge secrets from Julie, and it all takes place in Europe during the Iron Curtain.  Really good!
 
After watching Out of Africa, it confirmed for me why I think Meryl Streep is one of the greatest actresses to ever walk this earth.  That is all.
 
This certainly wasn't the first time I had watched Sabrina, but I hadn't seen it in a good long while, and I noticed so much more this time.  I've been wanting to grow my hair out, but after watching this, I fell in love with Audrey's cropped coif, and I know it would work on me (heheh).  If only hair grew quickly.  Somebody, talk me into cuting it again?

She's so sexy.
 
 
To Catch A Thief....ahhh this movie is classic chic.  Edith Head did the costumes, and you know if her name is on a movie, you're in a for a treat.  I need to make a list of every movie she costumed and then check them off.  In fact, I'm going to!  Grace Kelly was so freaking chic in this movie, she really was a real-life Barbie-doll.



That dress was so beautiful, I wonder where it ended up?  That's something I've always been upset over if I think about it too hard.  The fact that when my Great-Grandmother Margaret (Mimi) passed away when I wasn't 2 years old yet, and my Great-Grandfather William sold all of her old party dresses and clothes (1950's and 1960's dresses) away to a stranger who owned a consignment shop, has always made me sad.  Ah well, such is life.
 
That's all for now, until I find a camera I can hook up to my computer and show you some of my new finds, including 2 silk shirts, probably late 80's, 2 dresses (one late 1990's, looks Woodstock-esque; one black cotton tunic probably early 90's that has large geometric shapes made out of sequins), and a Liz Claiborne purse, early-mid 80's made out of canvas and brown leather.  Can't wait to show you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...