Sunday, February 13, 2011

Born This Way- Lady Gaga scores a Vogue cover

In a break from fashion week, I wanted to touch on the fact that Lady Gaga is the March 2011 Vogue cover.  I heard the song Born This Way on the radio today for the first time.  Elton John said it was the "gayest song I've ever heard."  I liked it.  And I like this cover! She looks absolutely gorgeous, shot by Mario Testino.  Here are a few pictures with some snippets from the article.



"I am quite literally chest open, exposed, open-heart surgery every night on that stage, bleeding for my fans and my music. It's so funny when people say, 'It's amazing to see how hard you work.' We're supposed to work hard! I have the world at my fingertips. I am not going to saunter around the stage doing pelvic thrusts and lip-synching. That's not at all why I am in this. I am just a different breed. I want to be your cool older sister who you feel really connected with, who you feel understands who you are and refuses to judge anything about you because she's been there."
 "I want for people in the universe, my fans and otherwise, to essentially use me as an escape. I am the jester to the kingdom. I am the route out. I am the excuse to explore your identity. To be exactly who you are and to feel unafraid. To not judge yourself, to not hate yourself. Because as funny as it is that I am on the cover of Vogue -- and no one is laughing harder than I am -- I was the girl in school who was most likely to walk down the hallway and get called a slut or a bitch or ugly or nerd or dyke."


"There is this assumption that women in music and pop culture are supposed to act a certain way, and because I'm just sort of middle fingers up, a-blazing, doing what my artistic vision tells me to do, that is what is misunderstood. People are like, 'She dresses this way for attention.' Or like, 'Ugh, the meat dress.' People just want to figure it out or explain it. That truth is, the mystery and the magic is my art. That is what I am good at. You are fascinated with precisely the thing that you are trying to analyze and undo."
"What I do for a living is not a cheese sandwich. It's not like, either good or bad. It's much more complicated than that."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...